Many Indians dream of having a lush and colourful garden. One that changes with the seasons smells like fresh plants and flowers and may even be big enough to get lost in.
But sadly, that’s not usually the case in India unless you’re lucky enough to live in a vast property. Instead, many people have very small gardens.
However, that’s not to say they can’t be just as beautiful and exciting! Here’s how you can create a blooming oasis – even if your garden is tiny.
The first thing you need to do is create some space. This will give you a designated area in which you can be creative and start growing your dream garden.
Firstly, remove any unwanted garden furniture or decorations. Then, clear up any fallen leaves, dead plants, stray gravel – or anything else that’s making your current garden messy or unsightly.
If you feel as if your garden could look cleaner, you may also want to hose it down and wash away any mud or dirt.
Next, consider how you’d like your garden to look, as well as how you’re going to go about the process.
This will involve getting inspiration, planning how you want your garden to look, working out your budget and deciding what you’re going to place in the garden. Let’s take it one step at a time.
- Finding inspiration can be done in a number of ways. You could look online or in magazines for images of the perfect garden you’ve imagined. Or, you might even take inspiration from ‘real life’ gardens, whether it’s at a friend’s property, in a local park or at a public garden. Take photos or save online images to a folder of inspiration. Then, consider what you like about them and which parts you’d like to recreate for yourself.
- Once you have some general ideas in place, it’s time to start planning. Look at your garden and think about where these ideas could go and how they’d fit into its size and shape.
- Before purchasing anything, you’ll need to get an idea of your budget. You don’t want to spend all your money on one item, only to find you have none left in the budget for the rest of your garden. By deciding in advance how much you’d like to spend on the project, you’ll find it easy to divide up the costs and make sure you’ve budgeted for everything.
- Once you’ve decided on your budget, you’ll be able to start looking at specific products and deciding which ones you’d like to buy. When you’re ready, go ahead and purchase them – it’s time to get started!
Creating an Oasis
If you want your garden to look like an incredible blooming scene rather than just a regular backyard, try following our tips. Firstly, why do you want a garden that looks that way? In most cases, people create this type of garden to provide a getaway – an escape from their busy lifestyle and a place to feel at one with nature.
This means that your goal should be to remove external elements and create a space where you can properly relax.
- Use tall trees or climbing plants to obstruct neighbours’ views. This will give your garden the illusion of being cut off from the rest of the world – your own private escape.
- Plant lots of greenery, such as shrubs, bushes and leafy plants to create a very natural scene. Plus, you’ll find that it’s very calming to look at too!
- To create the feeling of being in an oasis, try to include lots of different plants and flowers – especially if they have an exotic look to them. Go for unique blooms with bright and colourful tones that will stand out in your garden, no matter what size it is. To ensure your garden stays vibrant all year round, choose a variety of plants that will bloom at different times of the year and are suited to your local climate.
- Make sure you factor in somewhere to sit and relax, whether it’s a bench, picnic table, hammock, sun loungers or even simply a lawn you can lounge on. By including this space, you can take in the atmosphere of your garden and enjoy the benefits of being outside and surrounded by plant life.
- When many people think of an oasis, water is one thing that springs to mind, so why not include a water feature in your garden? They don’t have to be big – in fact, there are many small water features that are appropriate for a small garden, such as a small fountain or sculpture.
- Consider adding lighting to your garden to make it even more vibrant at night.
By following our tips and carefully working with the space you have, you’ll be able to create your own little piece of paradise in your own garden – even if it’s tiny!
What does your garden look like? Do you have any plans to update it in the near future? What do you think of the idea of having your very own oasis connected to your home?
Share your thoughts in the comments section below, as well as your plans for what you’d like to do to your garden in the future. We’d love to hear all about it!